Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Journal 1-First Day at Loyola Academy

Overall, when informed that this course had a service learning requirement, I was a little bit concerned about what such a requirement would entail. I became moderately nervous when I became aware of the fact that the students we will be working with are in high school. As if the short age range between myself and the students was not intimidating enough, I later found out that the majority of the students are Spanish speaking. While on my way to the school, all I could think about was how I would treat a college undergrad while I was in high school. There is no question that I would've been utterly disrespectful and uncooperative of the college students' plans. Upon walking into the classroom, I remember thinking to myself that Karma had finally caught up with me, and all of the torment I gave some of my teachers would erupt in my face...

Once my group and I were seated with our visitor passes clipped on, it was pretty strange to take a look around the room. Much to my surprise, I encountered a lot of faces that I wouldn't necessarily consider out of my age group. In other words; the students didn't look that much younger, nor did I (and my group) really look that much older. On a side note, the teacher is relatively young, but perhaps the relationship between age, authority, and personal niches within the school setting would allow for my group and I to connect better with the students (than per say a teacher).

In any case, after icebreakers and introductions, I found myself surprised by the level of cooperation and enthusiasm that the students exhibited. Provided this doesn't turn out to be a dreadful experience where the students lose the interest in working with us, I feel I will be able to get a lot out of this experience. I hope to learn more about the South Side of Milwaukee, how Milwaukee Public Schools work, the lifestyle of teenage Hispanic Americans in Milwaukee, and how we are different/similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment